What'd'ya expect from a blogname like ours :D, we leave it up2 you :p

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Things To Do

1. Get car regd
2. Pay nrg
3. Cook dinner (try the n grn pnr recipe that J told me?)
4. Call STR (Imp: Re: the gazoo)
5. Check TdL paper for Ku k/o ptype

I love lists. I love making them. There's something about making a list that is so empowering. The basic functionality of the list consists of the fact that

1. It can be done anywhere, it doesn't need a specific place or time. If inspiration strikes me while I'm watching a movie in the theatre, I simply whip out my pen torch (or just squint in the light reflected from the screen) and my much used itty bitty pencil stub (or lip gloss or eye liner) and I can dash down my points (like remember to wash clothes tomorrow) on the back of the ticket stub.
2. Everything seems more professional when it has a number in front of it. Like try telling somone "You Suck". Not so impressive, right? But if you said "1. You Suck", people would stand up and take notice. Besides they'd want to know what 2 is.
3. It fools everyone into thinking I'm extremely organised. So when my boss tells me to make sure I do something the next day, I simply say, "Yup, let me add that to my list", and this sets her little heart at rest (besides making her think that I (a) have a list (b) have so many things to do that I need a list (c) write down every word she says).
4. You need just 2 points to make a "respectable" list.

Besides all of that, they make me feel like things are under control. I finish writing my list, and then I think NOW, now!! the world is OK. I might be in the midst of a tornado, the roof of my house might be flying away at this very moment, lightning and thunder might be crashing over my head, but Everything is Fine, because I Have Made My List.

Of course I'll lose the scrap of paper on which I've made the list (I have no illusions about that!), and even if I did manage to keep it safe I would not understand a WORD of it, if I read it an hour later (no illusions there either). But the intrinsic value of the list making is the essential here. If the military would listen to me, they'd issue standard 3x7 Scraps of Paper and Little Stubs of HB Pencils to all their troops. Never mind the guns and grenades. A man armed with the ability to make a list is a man armed to the teeth.

The cover of the Listmaker's Guide to the Galaxy would most definitely have on it in big bold letters, DON'T PANIC, MAKE A LIST.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cloudy said...

Yayyyyy First!!!!!

And I actually thought you knew what n grn pnr recipe was!!!!!

12:35 AM

 
Blogger Revealed said...

@Cloudy: hehe. That's the point ;). If its written down its bona fide :P

12:42 AM

 
Blogger Cloudy said...

OMG you're still editing!!!!! I did this once to Sunshine as well.... eerie.

12:58 AM

 
Blogger Cloudy said...

LOL @ Listmaker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Now my comments are coming out like a list!

1:00 AM

 
Blogger Revealed said...

Hehe! You forgot to number though :P. Would have been nice to have a listed comment :D

1:01 AM

 
Blogger Obi Wan said...

1. Me 2nd!!!

2. That reminds me, I have misplaced the list I made some months ago which had my short and medium term goals(No long-term goals because "In the long run, we are all dead"-JM Keynes) as far as purchases are concerned. I distinctly remember the list had some 12 items. I just bought two that month(new mobile and baaja) and promptly forgot all about THE LIST!!!

10:02 AM

 
Blogger Sumithra said...

@Revealed:

1. Me 3rd :-)
2. I make lists too. Needless to say, that doens't mean I'm organised or do everything in the list.
3. See what you have gone and done to all of us! :o)

@Cloudy: Yeah, you did that to me once too :D And I wanted to add to one of your earloer comments - about meeting people over the net. I completely agree with you. I wd never have imagined I'd meet such wonderful people on the net. The day I bumped into TCP while searching for Indrajal comics must have been my lucky day. That was the first time I actually read a blog and the rest is history (he he :D).

11:21 AM

 
Blogger Sumithra said...

Aarrgg.. damn these typo errors - *earlier comments

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Revealed said...

@Obi N Sunshine : I love the lists >:D<
@Obi: You have goals???? :O Hehe
@Sunshine: I sometimes think Listmakers are the least organised people, cos if they were truly organised they wouldnt need a list, no?

7:55 PM

 
Blogger Cloudy said...

@Sunshine: Never mind the typos! I know what you mean :)

Just remembered a mental list of replys I had composed and promptly forgot:

1. Re: to revealed on the Wodehouse transcripts you wrote about somewhere: I am so happy that I found ONE person in the world who knows about these. I have met hard core PGW fans who never had a clue what these were. They are gems, aren't they? And have you read Bertrand Russels' defence of PGW when there was all this rot going on about him being a Nazi sympathiser?

2. Re: to Obi on the 'good egg' you wrote somewhere - I love it too, and love even more the expression '20 minute egg' :)))

2:06 AM

 
Blogger Revealed said...

@Cloudy: Russel rocks! Really he does!! And can you IMAGINE any1 daring to suggest that PGW was a Nazi sympathiser?? I mean, ne1 reading those transcripts should Jolly Well Know that it wasn't even remotely true. It makes me so mad!

3:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home